Parkinson’s disease is a long-term neurodegenerative disorder that mainly affects the motor system. It is a disorder where the parts of the brain become gradually damaged over the years. The symptoms often start with a slight trembling in one hand (asymmetric resting tremor) and eventually stiffness of the body. This is a result of a fall in dopamine levels in the brain of the person. Over time, the patient may experience cognitive impairment, masked facial expression, difficulty in walking, trembling of both upper and lower extremities. In this article, you will learn about the best marijuana strain for medical Parkinson’s.
According to the study, up to ten million people suffer from this disorder and it is found out that men are 50% more likely to have PD than women. Even Though Parkinson’s Disease is not lethal, it can substantially reduce the quality of life, even with appropriate treatment.
Causes of Best Marijuana Strain Medical Parkinson’s
A single cause that can be directly linked to the onset of Parkinson’s disease is yet to be identified by scientists. However, the loss of neurons in the brain responsible for the synthesis of chemical dopamine is a symptom of PD. Once dopamine levels have decreased, irregular brain activity may result in Parkinson’s symptoms.
Several Risk Factors That Can Attribute to PD:
- Gender – as mentioned above, 50% of men are more likely to have Parkinson’s Disease than women.
- Age – almost 96% of Parkinson’s Disease patients are aged 60 years or over.
- Genetics – sometimes PD appears to run in families, but it may not always be hereditary. They are uncommon, barring cases where PD affects many family members. The risk is also increased by unique gene mutations, but each genetic marker itself carries a small risk.
- Toxins – The risk of developing the condition may be increased by prolonged exposure to environmental toxins. Some environmental toxins such as pesticides, herbicides, solvents, and other pollutants.
- Lewy Bodies – a person with PD may have protein clumps in their body and known as Lewy bodies. Lewy body dementia is a distinct condition, but Parkinson’s disease is linked to it.
As for diagnosis, there are no specific tests that exist that can diagnose Parkinson’s disease. Your doctor or your neurologist will diagnose PD based on a review of symptoms, your medical history, and a physical and neurological examination.
Conventional Medical Treatment for Parkinson’s
PD is not curable but there are still medications you can find in the market that are intended to help monitor and control the symptoms. While these medicines can lead to gradual improvement over time, their effect wears off. Examples of possible alternatives for treatment include:
- Dopamine Agonists – This therapy imitates the brain’s dopamine effects.
- Carbidopa-levodopa – Doctors observe that this is the most effective treatment for Parkinson’s disease. Levodopa is a natural substance that transforms into dopamine and goes into the brain. It is paired with carbidopa because, outside the brain, the latter prevents levodopa from being transformed into dopamine.
- MAO B Inhibitors – This set of drugs averts dopamine breakdown by impending the brain enzyme MOA B, which absorbs dopamine.
Studies About Medical Marijuana and Parkinson’s Disease
This continuing scheduling of marijuana means there haven’t been enough studies into the possible effect of cannabis on Parkinson’s disease. Though many interesting studies have been published that highlight the potential for cannabinoids to help with Parkinson’s disease-related symptoms.
The endocannabinoid system or ECS in the human body is made up of cannabinoid (CB) receptors and their associated neurotransmitters. Brain cells that control a range of motor and cognitive functions are related to these receptors. Cannabinoids are neuroprotective, which means that their activity can help shield nerve cells from injury. The potential effects of cannabis on best marijuana strain medical Parkinson’s were investigated in research published in Innovations in Clinical Neuroscience in 2019. Researchers concluded that marijuana “has been shown to amplify Parkinson’s disease motor and non-motor signs and symptoms.” They even indicate that with cannabis products, some of the neurological manifestations of PD may be alleviated, though such assertions are yet to be established in relation to patient-specific factors.
Another research, published in the European Journal of Internal Medicine in 2018, reported that “cannabis therapy is medically beneficial” for elderly patients trying to cope with the symptoms of different diseases, including Parkinson’s disease. The study also found out that more than 18 percent of cannabis-using patients were able to avoid or minimize the prescription of opioid-based painkillers. Over 70 percent of those surveyed reported moderate to substantial progress in their health in the six months trial period.
Additionally, a publication in Cureus in June 2019 claimed that marijuana can be used in adults with the best marijuana strain medical Parkinson’s as an alternative medication option to help improve the overall quality of life. The researchers also stated that medical marijuana improves both motor and non-motor symptoms, like rigidity, bradykinesia, tremor, pain, and sleep, and that approximately 46 percent out of 85 Parkinson’s disease patients recorded to have symptom relief.
Marijuana Strains For Parkinson’s Disease
For those interested in using medical cannabis for PD, it is important to point out that in terms of physiological impact and intoxicating potential, various marijuana strains can have very different effects.
Below are the different kinds and types of marijuana strains and their phytochemical related effects.
- Kush Strains – the Kush high is usually incremental, and some consumers can not even feel it when they are fully relaxed. Kush strains are also regarded as large boosters of appetite. Many may experience an itching sensation that soothes tight muscles as the elevated one makes its way down the body. Kush strains are extremely sedative strains and are mostly used at the nighttime. They deliver a blissful high in the body that can lighten the mood, ease tension, alleviate stress, and spasticity.
- Diesel Strains – some of the most popular landrace varieties of all time include diesel strains. There are extremely powerful strains that have tremendous effects that alter minds. However, there is considerable potential for pain and muscle spasm relief in combination with the extreme elevation that is achieved. For beginner marijuana users, diesel strains are not recommended particularly those with PD who have little to no experience using marijuana. Some of the medical marijuana diesel strains are Jack Skellington, Sour Diesel, and Sour Chem.
- Citrus Strains – for newbies, citrus strains are rarely recommended in terms of THC quality. They sometimes boast well over 20 percent of THC content, and many users feel the effects within minutes. These strains produce an ecstatic head high, and users will experience a numbing sensation throughout the body that helps soothe the muscles. A variety of sweet fruity scents are produced by citrus strains and are known for their aromatic terpene profile. Pineapple Express is one of the popular citrus strains.
- High-CBD Marijuana Strains – most of the high-CBD cannabis strains come from hemp which is high in CBD but has THC levels of 0.3 percent or less, meaning they do not cause a high. CBD is considered to have a number of therapeutic advantages in terms of possible use by PD patients. That includes spasticity relief, muscle relief, and even sleep assistance. But it is important to bear in mind that neither marijuana nor hemp is a medically approved treatment for best marijuana strain medical Parkinson’s. Some of the popular high-CBD strains are Harle-Tsu, Harlequin, and Ringo’s Gift.
Once again, we clarify that the above list is not a list of the best marijuana strains for PD, rather it is simply a list of different strain forms intended to help users gather information about the potential of using marijuana strains for the best marijuana strain medical Parkinson’s symptoms after talking to their doctor. We also want to make it absolutely clear that marijuana strain does not cure the best marijuana strain medical parkinson’s, nor is it an acceptable alternative for the condition’s medical or clinical care. However, it is conceivable that a variety of marijuana forms can help to provide symptom relief and improved quality of life, based on available empirical and research evidence.